Many military professionals find themselves walking on pins and needles to avoid offending people from other cultures. Yet, their efforts to adopt a respectful demeanor ultimately do little to impress host nationals or coalition partners, and less to accomplish their mission.
But there is a way to work effectively with people from other cultures and meet your objectives in an open, honest manner.
Drs. Rasmussen and Sieck have interviewed hundreds of military professionals who have extensive experience serving overseas in culturally intensive roles. In Save Your Ammo, they present the skills and strategies these cross-cultural security experts used to handle their most challenging engagements with foreign populations and partners.
This practical guide to working across cultures is filled with gripping stories of real cultural encounters. You’ll learn how to:
- Build working relationships to get things done
- Win trust and earn respect
- Discover entertaining ways to learn about new cultures
- Spot bad advice and find trusted local cultural advisors
- Deal with difficult people and reduce your foreign frustrations
- Adapt to your new cultural reality, while staying true to yourself
- Know when and why to break the cultural script